At this point, you are all probably pretty familiar with Facebook, and some of the more common features like updating statuses, checking-in, browsing profiles, pages, and apps, and many more day to day actions.
However, most people are not aware of a number of interesting, but mostly useless, tricks and hacks, which you can perform on Facebook today.
- Modifying Anchor Text of a Target Page’s / Profile’s URL
- Removing Your Last Name in Your Facebook Profile
- Adding Animated Custom Tabs
- Creating Your Own Emoticon on Facebook Chat
- Making Your Profile Photo Un-clickable
- Selecting / Inviting All Friends
Modifying Anchor Text of a Target Page’s / Profile’s URL
Image courtesy: https://www.facebook.com/wittykittymi/posts/10151430928688218
By default, Facebook allows us to tag profiles & pages using the “@” symbol on our status updates.
But with this hack, you can modify the anchor text that is used to link to your profile or page. If you notice, this status update contains text links “THIS PAGE”, “TODAY I LEARNED” & “facts”, all linking to the URL https://www.facebook.com/todayilearn.
How to do it:
1) To get your page’s/profile’s ID, you can go to findmyfacebookid.com & type in the URL of the page or profile you are interested in.
2) Once you have the numeric ID, copy this code to create the link in your updates.
@@[0:[YOURPAGEID:1:YOUR PREFERRED ANCHOR TEXT]]
Note: The code has to be in the status update TWICE, otherwise, linking won’t work.
Hence, in the above post, the exact post should be entered as:
“When was the last time you visited @@[0:[342422379172885:1:this page?]]
“LIKE” @[342422379172885:0] for awesome @@[0:[342422379172885:1:facts]]!”
Removing Your Last Name in Your Facebook Profile
Image source: https://www.facebook.com/wittykittymi
As part of Facebook’s security checks, you are required to completely fill out your account details to successfully create an account. By default, Facebook requires every user to enter their full name prior to saving their profile settings.
With this trick, you will be able to bypass Facebook’s restrictions and drop your last name.
How to Do it:
1) Open Mozilla Firefox (Firefox is required for this hack to work)
2) Go to Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings -> Connection Settings -> Manual Proxy Configuration
3) In the HTTP Proxy Field, enter 22.214.171.124, port 8080, or use any Indonesian Proxy.
4) On your facebook profile, go to Account settings — > Change Language to BAHASA INDONESIA
5) Remove your middle name & last name.
Adding Animated Custom Tabs
Image Source: https://www.facebook.com/TriviaManiaOfficial
Facebook doesn’t allow users to upload animated GIFs anywhere on the site, so if you wanted to have an animated GIF somewhere, you’re out of luck, unless…
There is a trick that allows anyone, who has the following resources, to bypass this limitation in uploading animated GIFs for custom tabs.
How to Do it:
1) You must have Adobe Photoshop C5 & Quicktime Player.
2) Select the animate GIF you want to upload.
3) Open Adobe Photoshop CS5 and go to File > Import > Video frames to layers. In the File Name box, just enter *.* as your filename and choose your GIF image.
4) Resize your GIF to 111 x 74 pixels to fit the custom tab image .
5) Save your file in a PSD format. Check the save option, ‘LAYERS’
Creating Your Own Emoticon on Facebook Chat
While this is not actually new, many people have no idea about this feature. Since 2011, Facebook has allowed users to chat with their friends using custom emoticons, and now you can too. Just by getting a page’s or a profile’s ID or username, Facebook will let you use their profile pictures as your chat emoticon in thumbnails…
*note this only works in the Facebook Chat and not in updates.
How to Do it:
1) Go to any profile, official Page, or event that you want to use as an emoticon.
2) Look for the profile ID at the end of the URL, such as “Mcdonalds” from https://www.facebook.com/McDonalds
3) Place that username or number in double brackets like [[Mcdonalds]]
Note: Pages with no username /vanity URL e.g https://www.facebook.com/McDonalds have default ID numbers displayed on their URLs (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Socially-Awkward-Penguin/98438140742). So when you cannot find a profile or a page’s username, just refer to the numbers at the end of the URL, instead.
4) Enter that into a Facebook Chat or Message field.
Rage Faces IDs:
Here is a collection of a few rage faces courtesy of Reddit.
Using Profile IDs
Troll face: [] Are you f****** kidding me : [] Not bad Obama: [] Me G usta: [] Mother of God: [] Cereal Guy: [] LOL Face: [] NO Guy: [] Yao Ming: [] Derp: [] Derpina: [] Forever Alone: [] F yeah: [] Challenge accepted: [] Okay face: [] Poker face: [] Okay face: [] Socially awkward penguin: [] No: [] MOG: [] Like a sir: []
Using Usernames / Vanity URL
Not Bad: [[NotBaad]] Rage face: [[FUUUOFFICIAL]]
Making Your Profile Photo Un-clickable
Not everyone really wants to have their header image clickable, but yet that’s the way Facebook header images work, or do they? Well, if you’re curious, you should give this one a try:
How to Do it:
1) Go to your Albums – > Profile Pictures
2) Select your current profile picture.
3) Adjust privacy setting to “Only Me”
Selecting / Inviting All Friends
Selecting & inviting all of your friends in an event can be a tedious task, especially if you have more than 1,000 friends to send invitations to.
Luckily, this trick that allows users to select/invite all of their friends in an event or an app – with just one click.
How to Do it:
1) Open Firefox and go to your Facebook page to invite all friends to like your page.
2) Select “All Friends” instead of “Recent Interaction” so that you can invite all friends to your page. Scroll down till all of your friends are shown in the page.
3) Press Ctrl+Shift+K and a small window will appear at bottom.
4) Paste the below code in it and click enter.
Hacks and Tricks like the above, should always be attempted using caution. We are not aware of anyone ever getting in trouble for using the above Hacks, but in some cases they do bypass the intended functionality of Facebook, so be careful.
Which of these tricks is your favorite? If you have any Facebook tricks you would like to share, please let us know in the comments!